Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Almquist up for teacher of the year honors

Theater Arts Director looks to win title from People Magazine

Jessica Cota
CACTUS CHRONICLE

Are you a great educator? 

THMS Theater Arts Director Arthur Almquist found himself asking this question when he nominated himself for teacher of the year with People Magazine last March.

“I was in a doctor’s office last year flipping through People Magazine, when I saw the ad, so I applied and forgot about it,” Almquist said. “They asked me to write an essay, get letters of recommendation; it was almost like a job interview.”

In July, Almquist was coming out of a restaurant when he received a call from New York.

“I pulled over and the woman from New York and I did a phone interview,” Almquist said.

Almquist found this sort of situation a delicate line to walk.

“It was very weird nominating myself,” Almquist said,“But I was surprised, totally delighted, not only excited for myself but for the school and the students.”

The winning teacher will receive $5,000.

If there were an option, Almquist would like to keep the money won in the fine arts.

“I know everyone is hurting right now but I want to support my program,” Almquist said.

Almquist became interested in theater arts at a very young age.
“I was twelve, and I had gone through a whole bunch of tries to find something I was good at,” Almquist said.

Almquist found his inspiration in a play at a children’s theater that his parents had taken him to.

“They signed me up at the theater and I've been doing theater since then, whether it be acting, directing or teaching.”

Almquist got his inspiration from his former High school drama teacher Judy Corcoran, at Sabino High School.

From Sabino, Almquist attended Vassar College in New York, and then pursued his master’s degree of theatre arts at the University of Montana.

This is Almquist’s eighteenth year teaching at THMS.   
                     
“I love being here, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else,” Almquist said, “I love the energy, the staff, and I love my space.”

Students also see the enthusiasm that Almquist expresses to his classroom.

“Its a really fun experience,” freshman Donovan Mcginnis said. “He (Almquist) takes his work serious and likes working with his students, he’s really a fun, loving teacher.”

No comments:

Post a Comment